Huta im. Sendzimira
Huta im. Sendzimira (former Huta im. Lenina) is situated on the left bank of the Vistula River about five miles to the east of the City of Krakow. The plant is a fully integrated metallurgical works with a fully enclosed production cycle, starting from coke production and continuing to finish rolled products.
The erection of the Works was decided on in 1947 and in 1948 an agreement was signed between the Governments of Poland and the Soviet Union, according to which the Soviet Union was to supply technical documentation for the future plant, the major part of the machinery and equipment as well as technical supervision of erection work including training of the future Polish team at similar plant in the Soviet Union.
The experience learned by the Polish team in the Soviet Works was of remarkable aid in attaining early mastery of the difficult art of handling the complicated machines. Since 1954 some 500 engineering-specialists have come from the Soviet Union, acting as counselors and Supervisors.
The work on the erection of the Nowa Huta Steel Plant was begun in April 1950. Some time earlier Begun the construction of roads, railroads, tramway lines and the electrical power grid. At the same time the building of the new residential district of Nowa Huta was begun.
The decision of the choice of site was based on the topographical conditions for supplying the works with ore, coal, flux and water and similarly on the economic, cultural and scientific facilities of the neighboring of the city of Cracow. The voivodeship of Cracow was main source of manpower.
Only four years after erection had begun, on the 22nd of July 1954, the first blast furnace started to work; then in February 1955 the first open hearth came into operation and the first blooms were rolled in the blooming-mill in April 1955. A year later the hot strip rolling mill was set in operation and in December 1958 the cold reduction mill followed. In 1961 several other plants began, namely the continuous galvanizing line and the hot tip tinning lines, the small shapes rolling mill, the erection of two more coke ovens, open hearth No.10 and blast furnace No. 4. In 1963 the electrolytic tinning line and wire-bars mill were started and ultimately in 1966 the oxygen converter steel plant, steel plant, sintering plant No. 2and blast furnace No. 5, the volume of which was 2000 cubic meters making it the biggest unit in Poland and in Europe.